Gas Fireplace Safety: Glass

If you have a gas hearth product, read on….
fire safety hand

Fire is hot. Seems like a simple enough concept. But it’s not just the fire that’s hot – the materials that surround the fire get hot too. Case in point: the glass on the front of gas fireplaces, stoves and inserts can reach temperatures that are high enough to cause severe burns.

All Heatilator gas fireplaces and inserts are outfitted with factory-provided protective safety screens. They reduce the risk of serious burns by creating a barrier that prevents skin from coming into direct contact with the glass. However, screens also retain some heat so touching them is not advised.

When enjoying a gas fireplace, stove or insert, keep the following safety precautions top of mind:

  • Hearth products become hot during operation. Keep clothing, furniture, draperies and other flammable materials a safe distance away.
  • Keep children and pets away from fireplaces, stoves and inserts. All parts of the appliances get extremely hot and any contact should be avoided.
  • Fireplaces, stoves and inserts (and their surrounding materials, including the glass) will remain hot for a period of time after being turned off, so continue to use caution until completely cooled.

You can prevent accidental fireplace glass burns by sharing this blog with your friends and family, especially if they have young children.

Gas hearth products are a wonderful asset to any home. Please remember to always enjoy fires safely!

Get a Quote

Contact a dealer about pricing, installation and any available incentives or promotions in your area.

Get a Quote