When enjoying your fireplace, stove or insert, it’s important to remember these basic safety precautions...
When enjoying your fireplace, stove or insert, it’s important to remember these basic safety precautions:
- Fireplaces, stoves and inserts become hot during operation. This is a characteristic associated with their function of providing heat in the home.
- Parents are advised to keep small children away from fireplaces, stoves and inserts. These appliances should be treated with the same caution as hot range tops, ovens and clothing irons. Physical barriers, such as adjustable safety gates in doorways, can be used to keep children, as well as pets, a safe distance away.
- Factory screens that are provided with the product and secondary barriers such as free-standing screens help to reduce the risk of serious burns, as they can prevent skin from coming into direct contact with the glass or fire. However, screens also retain heat so touching them is not advised.
- As with all heat generating appliances, fireplaces, stoves and inserts (and their surrounding material) will remain hot for a period of time after being turned off, so caution should be used at all times.
Above is a photographs of a fireplace screen. Screens that are provided with your fireplace, stove or insert help to prevent skin from coming into contact with the glass and should never be removed.